EveryDistrict’s Implementation Plan to Make it Happen
EveryDistrict’s focused plan will help Democrats build a strong foothold in the Senate, the courts, the House, and the states.
In this report, we’ve articulated the different levers for the future of power in this country. In each section, we articulated the activities that Democrats broadly, and EveryDistrict specifically, can take over the next few years.
The goal of these activities is simple: build the conditions for a long-term and powerful Democratic majority and render the current iteration of the Republican Party impotent.
Among the steps that we’ve articulated in this document, the following are the five core activities that Democrats can and should launch over the next six months to build for the long term:
- Make investments in the geographies and demographics that will determine the long-term trajectory of the Senate and the states.
- Fight hard in redistricting and plan the strategy for competing in the Congressional and state legislative districts to come.
- Build a strong federal and state-level judicial strategy through expanded courts, pipelines of lawyers, and real investments in state court campaigns.
- Ensure as many states as possible are true democracies with a full suite of policy reforms.
- Implement a grassroots strategy to advance progressive policy reform in red states.
The opportunity that these strategies afford is tremendous – to convert Democrats from a majoritarian party with limited control of the levers of power to the dominant political force in this country. The stakes are too high not to invest in this future.
EveryDistrict is poised to build on our work in the states to advance a program to build power in the red, purple, and blue states. Using the data and relationships we’ve built, we will work with partners to get more Democrats elected in more places, push democratic reform forward, and create a vision of progressive change even in some of the redder parts of the United States. Specifically, we plan to:
- Track redistricting. Using our data experience and knowledge, we’ll assess the post-redistricting state legislative landscape for organizations across the country.
- Build the plan for the districts. Coming out of our redistricting tracking, we’ll build a demographic-driven plan for holding majorities and winning in new places in 2021, 2022, 2024, and beyond through our Win Number program.
- Pilot the winning demographic strategies in 2021 and 2022. Win Number is EveryDistrict’s demographic modeling program to help identify, persuade, and turn out the voters in legislative districts that will create a Democratic electorate. In Virginia in 2021 and in states across the country in 2022, we’ll pilot the strategies that will allow us to gain in more pink-to-red territory.
- Create campaign infrastructure in the districts. EveryDistrict will expand our footprint in battleground states by putting boots on the ground. Our organizers will begin to implement our unique district plans and Win Number strategies even before candidates commit to run for office. Our work on the “hard” side of campaign funding will allow our organizers to work hand-in-hand with states parties, state caucuses, and the candidates themselves once we have a Democratic nominee. By organizing year-round in the competitive state legislative districts, we’ll actually build the much-discussed between-cycle infrastructure necessary to ensure new candidates don’t have to start from scratch every two years.
- Expand our innovative fundraising platform. In 2020, EveryDistrict supported 100+ candidates in nine states with a unique fundraising platform. By 2022, EveryDistrict will expand this platform so that competitive state legislative candidates in purple, red, and blue states can get their name out and raise the resources that they need.
- Build state supreme court infrastructure. With four cycles of state campaign experience under our belts, we will expand our support to state supreme court races.
- Protect vulnerable incumbents. Knowing that 2022 will be a challenging year, we’ll focus our state efforts first and foremost on making sure the great candidates elected over the last four years stay there.
- Use ballot initiatives to create long-lasting power. Working with in-state groups, we’ll translate the work to pass important ballot initiatives to advance key power and policy issues into sustainable movements to begin to make red states purple.
We firmly believe that there is no more important geography to invest in over the next twenty years than the battleground, majority-making state legislative districts. For too long, Democrats have pursued a top-down, candidate-focused strategy that has not paid dividends in building long-term power. Building infrastructure in these state legislative districts is critical to truly understanding what motivates voters in these communities and turning their concerns into a powerful pro-Democratic message.
Here’s why this bottom up strategy is so important: if we can build enduring, Democratic state legislative majorities, then we will have built winning statewide Democratic coalitions that will allow us to win the presidency, expand our Senate and House majorities, and grow the number of Democratic governors and statewide officers.
Join us in this work by donating here: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/the2040project.
To learn more about EveryDistrict’s pathbreaking work to build Democratic power from the states up, visit our website at EveryDistrict.us and contact our Executive Director, Nicole Hobbs at firstname.lastname@example.org.